Saturday, October 24, 2009

EV Dashboard

I've written a Windows CE app, which will also run on a Windows Mobile 5 and 6 device, to display data from the Paktrakr. It reads the data from a bluetooth adapter on the serial cable. I've got it running on a dashboard mounted GPS. On the main tab it displays amps, volts, temp, soc% and kWh. And on the second tab it has a bar chart of the batteries or cells with voltages. It has a simulation mode and can log data to the SD card.

Display:
I found a cheap 5" GPS display running Windows CE 5.0 Core with Bluetooth that can run apps. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22067 It includes a bracket to mount on the dashboard.
The application should also run on any Windows CE 5.0 Core device with bluetooth including the Magellan Maestro 4250 and the Mio C520. These devices may, however, require renaming some of the installed files.

USB:
There is only one USB port on this type of device and it doesn't provide power. So it can't power a serial to USB adapter. Even more, because of limited battery on the device the USB is needed for charging. Perhaps there is a USB splitter that would charge from one side and communicate from the other, but I couldn't find one.

Bluetooth:
The device doesn't have pairing software for remote bluetooth devices so I had to discover devices and open a stream to the bluetooth device directly instead of through a virtual COM port. I used a IOGEAR Serial to Bluetooth adapter that has an AC power cable (output is 5V and .35A). To get it to work on the Paktrakr serial cable. Hopefully I can find a car adapter to fit it. Then I had to solder a wire between pin4 and pin7 on the 9pin serial cable coming from the paktrakr.
While this wasn't an ideal solution it does work.



Better Bluetooth Cable:
I ordered a couple bluetooth usb dongles from Amazon for 99 cents each. They run the Broadcom 2045 chipset which has very low power requirements. So, I believe it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to build a cable from Paktrakr. I'll be looking for some help with this since it is out of my comfort zone.


GPS:
Microsoft has a GPS Intermediate Driver (GPSID) that is available on Windows Mobile 5 and later. This allows multiple apps to share the GPS hardware. This GPS device doesn't ship with GPSID and I can't find a way to set it up. So, watthour/mile will have to wait for the "advanced" version.

2 comments:

  1. Hi to whom it may concern, (I don't know your name)

    I have seen your web link through a friend web site eprotogege.blogspot.com (Mr. Jim Karamalis)

    I am an EV and eBike fanatic and I would like to know your opinion regarding this LCD display you bought the 5'' GPS with Windows CE, such as how much you paid for it... Can you order it from the US... How long does it take to get it... and since it doesn't seem to have a known brand name IS IT RELIABLE for long... does it work with a WiFi dongle to get internet.

    I just finished to design on SolidWorks a huge electric trike for a friend of mine in Montreal and I am now working on the BMS which will need such a nice display... (the BMS is DIY kit from TpPacks (also good for EV cars) http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=26 provided by Mr Gary Goodrum available on the Endless Sphere forum...http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?author_id=2181&sr=posts)

    Could you tell me as well if it was hard to interface your program to read the data from your cells and also what type of signals can we use on this portable PC inputs...

    I have been looking on the DealExtreme web site and the model I would be interested in is the http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30501 (SKU 30501)5'' LCD 600Mhz CPU with Windows CE and GPS...

    Thank you very much... for your help.

    Sylvain G.
    Quebec (CAN)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The GPS I have was $107. It has been reliable for testing and some on the road use. It took about 3 weeks to get here. I doubt if you could return it though. I used Bluetooth because there is only 1 USB port and that is needed for charging since the battery doesn't last very long. On a bike it might be too exposed to rain. This BMS is built on the tppacks, http://www.rechargeablelithiumpower.com. They suggested using a Paktrakr to monitor the cells, which is what I ended up doing.

    ReplyDelete