Friday, July 17, 2009

Control box mounted


There was a mounting bracket already in the engine bay and a 6" angle bracket from Ace fit perfectly to one of the screw holes for the clutch, which is gone. The mount is bomber and the hood even closes, which is a plus. Also, there is room for battery racks in front and behind. The controller is Kelly 144v with regen from cloudelectric for $875.


The Kelly KDH requires a 5V input instead of just the 5ohm input from the existing potbox wires. So, wiring the 5V output from the controller into the potbox, plus the ground and the 5V output of the potbox.


Sorry I'm so color blind with my wiring. The yellow-black wire should be black (gnd) and the blue wire (from the throttle's black wire "signal") should be green. I've used yellow for 5V from the controller to the throttle.

2 comments:

  1. Nice EV project!

    I have some advice about the Kelly- first add a fan to the top of the controller, and also DISABLE the REGEN. The REGEN only works on PM motors, not series wound motors and don't let anyone fool you. REGEN just doesn't work with Series Wound motors due to the design and brush advancement of the motor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice to add the fan. I've decided not to bother with the regen because I don't have an analog brake pedal and didn't want to fuss with it. Also, since I ordered the controller I've driven a couple of vehicles with regen and it was always unexpected (i.e. hard to control) when the regen slowed the vehicle, almost like downshifting with the brake pedal.

    ReplyDelete