Friday, February 19, 2010

Manual Steering Rack

Earlier in the summer I had ordered a used manual rack from a '92 Civic, part number 53427-SR3-A01, for $90 from a salvage yard. After comparing the difference between the power and manual racks on the majestic honda site I also ordered 2 parts from Honda the "Grommet C, Steering Rack" 53503-SB2-010 and the "Steering Spacer" 53504-SR3-A00 for about $20, which Tim also mentions in his blog. Unbolting and removing the steering rack went well. The Haynes instructions say to remove the catalytic converter and the shifting extension arms.

I measured the distance to each of the tie-rod ends to help align the steering wheel. The manual rack went in easier than the power rack came out. But I wish I had done it before installing the motor and batteries. I'll drive it to Honda to get it aligned for $60. Removing the rack and installing the manual rack took about 8 hours. While this is a more expensive solution than a loop-back on the power steering fluid reservoir I think it is cleaner and handles better.



1 comment:

  1. Honda parts always given valuable services for the customers.You are uploaded very keen steering problems normally we have.I know One of the most difficult things to design and build on a car is the steering mechanism.That was very informative post.Thanks a lotNice article. This is so much more than i needed!!! but will all come in use thanks!!
    Steering Rack

    ReplyDelete