Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Battery Racks


I've ordered 45 Thundersky 100 Ah cells from Dave at evcomponents in Issaquah, WA. They are supposed to be here any day so I've got to get the racks installed. The cells are 145mm X 220mm X 68mm or 5.7" X 8.66" X 2.6". The are already prestrapped in groups of 5 (5.7" X 13.85" X 8.66"). I'll put 2 in the front rack, 3 in the firewall rack and 4 in the trunk. They are 7.7 lbs. each so the weights should be similar to the ICE parts removed from the car. I cut the pieces and had a friend weld them together. I'll follow the installation advice and instructions from Tim Kutscha, with a few changes. I'm not bolting the racks but welding them at 45 degree angles. Since the dimensions of my batteries are thinner the racks will be narrower. Also, the del Sol trunk appears to be a different shape than the Civic. I'll just prime and paint the racks instead of powdercoating them. Here is a picture of the welded racks.




No comments:

Post a Comment